Saturday 24 October 2009

Real Live

I was ripping this for myself, and figured it was so good it had to be shared.

From London's Camden Town Roundhouse, this blistering Magazine set was broadcast as part of the BBC's Electric Proms festival.

And boy were they hot.
I don't think I've heard so much energy from a reformed band as apparent on this recording.
The songs sound alive and fresh; delivered with style and vitality; no evidence here of a band merely going through the motions.

The set list is perfect. A collection of A and B sides.
Beginning with the dynamic 'Shot By Both Sides' and ending perfectly with 'I Love You, You Big Dummy', a song they colonize so expertly, it's easy to forget that it was conceived by someone else; and that's saying something about a Beefheart cover.

Devoto is on top form too.
He does ham it up a little for the first few numbers, but as the band settles, Howard loosens up, actually sounding like he's having a good time: enjoying every minute in fact.

After such a blinding set as this, the big question is: what now?
New material? An album?

Norman Fischer-Jones (Noko) has been recruited in to fill the empty space left by the late John McGeoch; during this set he totally justified that choice; and I'm not sure that Jonny Greenwood - often mentioned as a potential collaborator with Magazine - would have made a better job.

But for me, apart from the band's startling sonic effects, it was always Barry Adamson's bass playing that made their sound. And he certainly hasn't lost his touch; playing this set with great gusto and real energy.

I enjoyed this a lot.
I can't recommend it enough.

Magazine - Live at the Roundhouse, 22/10/09

Shot By Both Sides
Rhythm of Cruelty
A Song From Under the Floorboards
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
Sweetheart Contract
Feed the Enemy
Give Me Everything
The Book
20 Years Ago
The Light Pours Out Of Me
I Love You, You Big Dummy

Ripped from captured broadcast to mp3s @320kbs
Get your subscription here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't thank you enough for this. Indeed, I waited years for them to reform only for it to happen once i'd left the UK...
Adamson is God. Of that there's no doubt.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for that ! Splendid, sound and performance. One of the best Manchester band !

Anonymous said...

Awesome thanks, but "The light pours out of me" is missing from teh archive!

Anonymous said...

They were wonderful my favs Secondhand Daylight just beyond the rest at the time only the Bannshees had the same power for those few months good to see the Gang of Four up and running as well...they were great times and great gigs....Stella Post Thank you

Anonymous said...

Any chance of posting the video rip?

roy rocket said...

'The Light Pours Out of Me' follows on from a segue with '20 Years Ago'- it was so good I didn't want to break it - so plays as one track: track 9.

Sorry can't do the vid; I only do aural [!]

Anonymous said...

Can't thank you enough for this - but I can try by steering you to five classic 1979-1980 Magazine gigs to download, Boston Toronto and Rockpalast being superb!

Go gettem here with my thanks:
http://www.eggcityradio.com/?p=18
http://www.eggcityradio.com/?p=19

Cheers, Dave Sez.

dee_seejay said...

Dave Sez already helped me to Magazine Nirvana yesterday with links like that so I wouldn't hesitate mate!
I just wanted to thank you for these two recent gems...so,cheers old bean.

Anonymous said...

And pinkie reminds me that I have been most remiss in failing to thank you too, so to return the gift, you'll find your post and many other Magazine goodies indexed here:

http://knowyourconjurer.blogspot.com/2010/10/magazine-megapost-by-dave-sez-go-get.html

Hope you'll find something that you hadn't got .. or didn't know existed. Cheers and thanks again, Dave Sez.

roy rocket said...

Hey, I'm on my way over...