Tuesday 6 October 2009

Colour Me Pop

I was not a big fan of the Paisley Underground sound or any of the other sub-genres deriving from that strangely titled beast: alt country.
(I don't include the more traditional artists in this category; those who are often considered 'outlaws': Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt, early Beck, et al. I'm referring to the more commercial bands who seem to be lumped under this bludgeoning, marketable term.)

And I've never really been a big fan of Green On Red...

However.
This recording is quite special.

I've listened to other Green On Red recordings on the back of this one; but they don't come close; their studio sound epitomizes everything I dislike about this genre.
Sorry guys.
I don't know what it was about this gig - although the clues are there: recorded at the end of an apparent disastrous European tour; a stand-in last minute drummer, required due to the regular skin thumper walking away; and difficulties with legal and financial obligations - but they appear, to me at least, to be a completely different band.
Maybe all that bad shit going on allowed them to perform as if they really meant it.

I normally detest blues played by WASPs, mainly because it's so disingenuous, but the two highlights of this album for me are the two big slow blues numbers: 'We Had It All' and 'Morning Blue', the latter being particularly moving; Chuck Prophet playing like I've never heard him play before (or since).

Together, the execution and performance of this set along with the lush recording makes for a great listen.
So if you too, like me, have never really been a fan of either the band or the genre, it may still be worth checking this out; you never know, you may be pleasantly surprised...

This version was released on cassette only; there was a 10" vinyl edition released, but it lacked two of the tracks featured here.

Green On Red - Live at the Town and Country Club (1989)

Excellent cassette rip @320kbs
Poor ole Dan here

4 comments:

. said...

I'm uh, like tewdally up for this one, but I do feel you're being a little harsh on the Paisley Underground thing. I remember at the time it was like a blaze of color in a drab pop world. The Rain Parade, the Three O'Clock (and others) got psychedelia absolutely right, and I still play and enjoy the music. Larvely.

Thanks for this.

roy rocket said...

I was kind of hoping somebody would say that...
One man's poison... n'all that
roy

Anonymous said...

cheers. album in attic. I wonder if Hank did it this way. relying on others rips... I'd stick up for Death and Angels and You Couldn't Get Arrested as fine non live tracks.

Simon

Peter said...

Some of those PU bands (if you'll pardon the expression) also left me cold, but the Dream Syndicate was and still is one of my faves (and Steve Wynn's solo stuff ain't too shabby, either). And Thin White Rope, if you were on the right side with the love-it-or-hate-it voice, were pretty good as well.